Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Dead Elmo vest,

despite all predictions to the contrary, is really zooming along. As you may have surmised, I am not the most patient of people, so knowing that I was going to knit something that's a whopping sixty inches around (two hundred and forty stitches, to be exact, and, might I add, nearly twice the size of my tiny Asian mother) was greeted with something more like resignation than excitement. 'She is my mother,' I told myself. And I reminded myself that, with the insanity of finals, I never had the time to come up with a Christmas (or birthday) present for her. Which is pathetic. As it stands now, the back is finished, and the right front is growing. My mother wasn't incredibly clear about design, so I will have to stop soon in confusion about what she wants at the collar. Knowing the way she likes her garments, it is knit in the straightest of straight rectangles. And I mean, there is not one bit of shaping of any kind. And it actually does not curl and twist like that at the top: I'm using circular needles to knit and hold the stitches, and circular needles have their own funny little twists in them. It drives me crazy.











Here we have an earlier incarnation, before the back was finished. There is also a ruler (that silver thing at the bottom) for scale.











Quote of the Day: "I don't have sex for money!"..."No, for furs, for jewels, for favors, like a lady..."

No comments: